The Himalayas is one of the popular peaks in the world. It is favorite hiking destinations for tourists who want to immerse in a nature trip and at the same time, challenge themselves. This is why it is also good to know some fun facts about the Himalayas.
1. The Himalayas is one of the youngest mountain ranges in the world. But you would be surprised just how old it is – if you wouldn’t mind. The Himalayas mountain range is around here for 25 million years already. It was formed as a result of a collision of the tectonic plates between Indo-Australian and Eurasian continents.
2. It is the only mountain range that moves really fast. Since the Indo-Australian plate is currently moving at 67 mm per year, the Himalayas is projected to travel about 1, 500 km into Asia. This is why it is also known as the most restless mountain range in the world.
3. We have always recalled Himalayas as a snow-capped mountain in the middle of Asia. But did you know, it was named after joining two Sanskrit words? “Hima” means snow while “Alaya” means abode. Just its name, Himalayas is home to friendly locals who will meet you with open arms as you get into the area
4. The Himalayas is the largest and highest mountain range in the world. In fact, it is the only mountain range that stretches across six different countries. These include India., Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, Afghanistan and Pakistan. If you happen to be any of these countries that means you have access to the Himalayas.
5. Himalayas has 25 peaks in total and Mount Everest is just one of them. Overall, the Himalayas exceeds 8000 meters and is the highest in the world. It doesn’t matter whether it is summer or winter, the ice in the Himalayas never melts.
6. There are beautiful rivers originating from the Himalaya and surprisingly, they are older than the mountain range itself. This proves that the world has too many wonders that we ought to discover yet. Most of the popular rivers that flow from the Himalayas include the Ganges River in India, Indus, Brahmaputra and Yarlung.7. A lot of people have tried to climb Mount Everest. Unfortunately, because of its unstable weather condition and highly difficult terrains, the mountain has also claimed 150 people during their expedition.
Check out this informative video:…